Make your own free website on

Round 14: 29th January 2002 vs. Deacons

Match report by Alan Clark

EDO Wins Two in a Row

MELBOURNE 30 January 2002 - EDO MADE IT two wins in a row, defeating high-flying Deacons 7-5 in last night's match of the round in the Albert Park (relocated) Indoor Soccer Fourth Division Tuesday competition.

Luis Rojas and Alan Clark scored the lot between them, as EDO stunned the Deacons' formation with quick inter-passing play.

Wes Black made a triumphant return to the EDO team he left for what he thought would be greener pastures, but which turned sour.

His move overseas to the London Monarchz failed to turn out as he'd expected, and once released from Monarchz, he was delighted to be back at EDO.

"Over there they call 'runners', 'trainers', and I had an agreement that I could use my own personal trainers. But when I went along for my first session at Monarchz, I was told I'd have to use the club trainers," Black said.

"It's good to be back where I'm appreciated."

Black slotted into a midfield that was on fire last night, and along with Graham Loosmore - once again plying his trade in the outfield, rather than the goals - was a critical reason behind EDO's dominance.

Black and Loosmore constantly snuffed out any hopes Deacons had of taking anything from this game, despite Deacons holding a half-time one-goal lead.

Although EDO had scored early, two Deacons goals before the break meant that EDO had, if not a mountain to climb, then at least a slightly uphill incline.

Rico again deputised in goal for EDO and was the rock at the very heart of the kernel of the basis of the foundation-stone of EDO's triumph, making several game-clinching saves which broke the spirit of the Deacons players.

Matt Curtis was once more a stalwart of the side, covering every centimetre of the playing area, starting and finishing most of EDO's forward parries, and many of the thrusts as well.

"Winning last week was a blast," said Curtis after the game. "But winning two in a row is unprecedented in a very long time."

Indeed, in the course of the historical record of recorded human history, two consecutive wins - one after the other, or even the other way around - has never before been previously recorded in the history of the past.

Paul Holland failed to return from interstate in time for the kick-off, and must be wondering how he can fight his way back into the team next week.

"These things happen," said a sanguine Rico. "We were disappointed Paul couldn't be with us, but we decided we'd work harder and see if we could cover his absence."

From the earliest moments of the second half, EDO ran Deacons ragged, at one point racing ahead to a three goal advantage. Although Deacons pegged the lead back, EDO was never headed and the game was comfortably won.

"We had a point to prove," said Loosmore. "Before, all the other teams thought we were very very poor - we had to show them that we can climb up to their level and be mediocre too."

Match Summary:

Played at University High gymnasium, Tuesday 29 January 2002, 8:40pm.
Line-up: Rico, Curtis, Loosmore, Black, Rojas, Clark.
EDO 1776 FC: 7 (Clark 4, Rojas 3)
Deacons: 5
Weather: Dry
Attendance: 15